Thursday 11 December 2008

The darndest things..

I promised myself when I began primary school visits that I wouldn’t start doing ‘kids say the darndest things’ pieces, but I can resist posting this photo from Newtown Public. It’s part of a display on China. It reminds me of the type of stuff I used to do at school, coming, a cropper on the final hurdle. 

The school was great. I read out the first page of the next book and we discussed what things we should change, including the name of the bully. They quickly spotted that the name I had in there, ‘Harry’ didn’t sound like a bully and besides it was already taken by Mr Potter. They came up with Barry, Bruce, Boris and the splendid Igor. They thought I should change the name of the hero from Jonty Townsend to Jonah Townsend because there was a boy of that name in the school. I actually really like that because I wanted him to be an Islander or Maori. 

I got some fun title suggestions like:

  • The Perfect Principal
  • Perfect Tomatoes
  • Perfect Behaviour
  • The Tomato Principal
  • Attention in Class

I quite like the last two. Do we have a winner there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Jonah a lot too
(For previous name, shurely it should have been Jontii or Jonteh (if from Manchester, England ;-)

As for titles, without knowing about the role tomatoes play in the book, I too like The Tomato Principal.
It sounds intriguing.